Mom of two Mischievous Monkeys: Falling Down...on a Friday

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Falling Down...on a Friday

I have a history of having bad things happen to me on Friday nights, and many years ago it was even narrowed down to a specific time after two separate bad events occurred on Friday nights around 6pm. 

I have since acknowledged that that bad things will happen anytime, anyplace but listen to my story and you will see why back then I got a bit leery about Friday nights around 6pm... 

-16 weeks pregnant with firstborn child, I was struck by a truck while crossing an intersection, ripped mirror off with my head and dented in door badly enough it couldn’t be opened. Suffered concussion and required 16 stitches to head. Baby thankfully was fine! Occurred on a Friday evening around 6pm. 

-About a month after being struck by the truck I was attacked by a dog outside the grocery store on my way inside. The dog lunged at me jumping on my now prominent belly ripping the front of my jacket then getting a grip on my arm causing puncture marks and blood to be drawn. Trip to the hospital and all checked out okay, had my tetanus shot up to date so other than getting my armed cleaned up and bandaged and having to sew up my jacket, the only residual issue from this was a fear of large dogs.

I was actually in the clear for some time with no incidents then two years ago I proceeded to a Norwex party at my friend's sisters house. There was a light skiff of snow covering the sheet of ice that had formed everywhere after having gone through a thaw-freeze-snow cycle that week. 

I arrived at the house, parked and proceeded to make my way up the driveway.

When, suddenly I felt myself fly into the air and then landed with a thud. That thud was the sound that was made when my foot landed underneath my butt, breaking my fall. 

Wincing from the pain of landing on my foot and of hyper extending my leg as it fell under me I gingerly managed to stand up.

I shuffled my way up the front door and opened it a crack calling out for help getting in.

Once in I got my foot free of my boot and hopped on one foot upstairs I promptly sat down and was brought a pillow, ice pack, some ibuprofen and St. John’s wart for the pain.

There I stayed for  the remainder of the event save for getting up once as the pain dulled for a bite to eat,  otherwise people were helpful in getting me refreshments, etc. .

My toe, although a bit sore obviously, appeared to be okay, the ice and pain medication had definitely helped. My friends sister had her husband go out and chip all the ice from the driveway and then pull my van into the driveway from the side of the road.

We wedged my foot into my boot with a shoe horn as it was a bit tender. 

I had someone help me out to the van, called my husband to warn him that I had fallen and probably just sprained my toe. Said to expect a call from me in the driveway once I got home to get help getting in and to have an ice pack and more ibuprofen at the ready.

My toe had started to bruise a bit but since I was tired and it was by now later in the evening I decided to rest and would evaluate it in the morning.

I woke up in the morning to a bruised and extremely swollen big toe.  It definitely appeared to be more than a sprain. This is a picture once the swelling and bruising had gone down a bit. 

So off to the walk in clinic, then to the hospital we went, for x-rays and confirmation that it was actually broken. Yes, I basically broke my own toe by kicking myself in the butt...I'm talented..what can I say! 

The Surgeon I saw at the Hospital convinced me that I didn't need a walking boot as they were more for comfort and once the swelling went down I could just shove my foot into a hiking boot for stability and I would be good to go. By Monday I was at the Medical supply store buying a boot as I was tired of being laid up and it was obvious that using crutches was not something I was good at. 

I had a scheduled appointment with my doctor that week and he of course had a look at my toe, and declared that it was important to keep the walking boot on for at least six weeks possibly eight and so this became my new footwear on that foot for what did turn out to be eight weeks! The stickers were a necessity according to my daughter...

Have you ever broken a bone?  Have an interesting story to share about how it happened? 
Please share, I would love to hear it! 

post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment