Over at Mama Kat’s weekly linkup one of the prompts she gave was to list our five recent favorite things. So in no particular order here are mine:
1. Adult coloring books: Of course I colored as a child. Adult coloring books are a whole new world compared to the the thin paged cartoon books of our childhood. I have started a nice little collection of books/coloring supplies and am finding it's a great stress reliever. Which apparently it's obvious I need. I was at the mechanic the other day (luckily an oil change this time and not another unexpected repair) when telling him of my broken toe he remarked "it's been a tough 6 months, scratch that a tough year for you guys". Pretty bad when the mechanic recognizes your life has had more downs than ups the last year.
2. Kids – This is specifically in relation to my daughter lately. Always one to keep us on our toes and be leaving us waiting for the next funny antic she has not disappointed this week. She brought home a letter from a friend at school that asked her for a sleepover soon. Well, when I went to pick her up at school the other day, her friend walked by and said “See you next weekend for a sleepover!” It was obvious the girls were badly wanting this so I messaged her friends Mom that evening to make the arrangements. When I told Karensa this she informed me that she had invited another friend but told her that the sleepover would be on Friday. Seems I am the last to find out about the plans of 7 and 8 year old girls.
3. Spark Joy - the newest book by Marie Kondo. I have already made my way through Marie’s first book and will admit that their were some parts that were just a bit too far out there for me, but overall this, along with the online minimalist group I joined has been a great inspiration for me to clear out clutter in our house and get more organized. As Spring approaches reading this second book has given me some renewed enthusiasm to clear out more.
4. Spring – While I shouldn't get my hopes up too much it looks like Spring is going to be here even earlier this year than last. The sun has been shining, snow is melting and I can already see patches of grass in my yard. This is pretty much uncalled for in past years, even though it was early last year too. I can't complain about the mild Winter we had but an early Spring makes me happy and gets me thinking about summer and going camping!
5. Friends. My mechanic hit the nail on the head with summing up our life for the last year it seems. Heck, in the last few weeks alone we have dealt with me breaking my toe, my elderly grandfather falling (on the same day I might add) resulting in additional fractures to his vertebrae which along with his pneumonia and low oxygen levels now means he will be in the hospital for the foreseeable future. Add in the flu going through our house, one family member at a time and hitting hubby worst with a six hour emergency visit for being badly dehydrated and nauseous and it's not been fun. During these rough times we are reminded just how much our friends are there for us to lend a hand. As we don’t have family close by we are very thankful for the support of our good friends these last few weeks while I was on the mend.